 Technic / 12008
Re: Studless Technic models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 05:07:36 GMT

In lugnet.technic, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.technic, James Loewen wrote:

[snip]

I think that Mindstorms is a good example of the sudden changes in Technic
because it is only 2-3 years old,

Try 5-6.  RIS 1.0 came out in 1998.

...uses stud connections for all the electronic components, and it seems
like Lego doesn't think that maintaining compatibility between it and the
new Technic sets is a priority.

For all that they keep saying that Mindstorms isn't dead, we haven't really seem
much lately to suggest that it's all that alive either.  Anyways, doesn't the
RCX itself have pin holes that can be used to attach it to stuff?  I agree that
it doesn't make sense to make the various Mindstorms gizmos incompatible with
the modern TECHNIC sets, but I see that more as a problem with designing them to
be incompatible with TECHNIC connections in the first place.  If they do revive
Mindstorms for the retail market, hopefully they'll make it fully TECHNIC
compatible this time.

In fact the RCX *does* have pin holes.  Only four of them, but they are there.
Two half pin holes on each side.

[snip]

I guess I'm not the only one who was lots of energy about the studless beam
bashing.

Kevin