 Space / 25507
Re: Hypothetical design question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:45:20 GMT

   Theoretically, any engine in deep space could allow you to travel to light speed or very close to it, assuming you have enough fuel and time on your hands to accelerate that long. Granted, the FASTER you want to accelerate, the more engery you’ll have to use.

Ask your dad about that again. My comment was based on readings from Stephen Hawking’s “Brief History of Time” and “Universe in a Nutshell”, as well as various online physics FAQ.

Granted, in space you don’t have to worry about air friction or gravitational pull (relatively), but burning fuel won’t accelerate you to just any speed you desire.

using some of newton’s theories, it takes a certain amount of energy to move an object a certain distance. or to say it in vacuum terms, it takes a certain amount of energy to accelerate an object to a certain speed. NASA’s rockets will accelerate you up to a given point, allowed they have enough fuel to burn. this is the amount of energy that the oxygen-hydrogen engines produce.

However, when accelerating towards light speed, the amount of energy required to accelerate increases. getting close to light speed, the amount of energy approaches infinity. and the more mass you have (like extra fuel) will increase the amount of energy needed to accelerate.

this is why only light (ie, mass-less photon) travels at light speed.

here’s a page about mass moving at light speed: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/mass.html

and another on black holes that has something to say about energy and speed: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/BlackHoles/blackfast.html

-lenny

i’m not trying to say your dad is wrong, but perhaps some of the conclusions you’ve come to from your conversation with him are being taken out of context.