 Space / 25423
Re: Hypothetical design question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:54:53 GMT

In lugnet.space, Sylvia Tresto wrote:
Okay, just something I thought of while fiddling with my LEGO: An aerodynamic
desigh is only handy in atmosphere and not necessary in space, right? I

Pretty right on your first point. Aerodynamics works where there is an
atmosphere.

A ship that is capable of nearlight speed would be have to have some type of
deflector for those few in-vacuum molecules, because as you point out, they
would case serious damage.The Star Trek universe had their ships use
navigational deflectors.

Aerodynamic design might be helpful in making a small target for a particle, but
just one particle impacting could have serious consequences.It would be a wiser
idea to have shielding (which would be massive) or deflectors.

Joe Meno