 Space / 25540
Re: Hypothetical design question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 02:57:19 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   Ahhhh...why is it that everything comes back to Star Trek? Hmmmm must be a conspirocy. ;^)

i think because of all the major scifi shows out there, Star Trek paid the most attention to actual physics and in making their technologies plausible. maybe not probable, but who knows what the future will hold?

While everyone already pointed out that Babylon 5 is the best mainstream sci-fi at actually obeying physics in space, I would like to point out a few additions to the above statement. The Star Trek “science advisor” has an Art degree. Half of the “treknobable” is actual scientific terms misused worse than Han Solo using “Parsec” as a measurement of time rather than distance. (At least Han was still using the word as a measurement instead of something else entirely) As entertaining as I find most sci-fi (including Star Trek) it drives me nuts when people think that Star Trek is actually based on real science.

-Mike Petrucelli