 Space / 25530
Re: Hypothetical design question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:33:43 GMT

In lugnet.space, Spencer Nowak wrote:
   I was under the assumption you would accelerate after the direction change. Actually, the way this all started, spinning the ship to shoot behind you, is a bit foolish.

Not at all. In atmospheric fighter combat, if I drop in on your six, you’ve got to shake me long enough to swing around and point your forward-facing guns at me before you can shoot back because you can’t fly backwards. Thus, whoever gets tailed first is usually the one who goes down in flames. In space combat, you no longer have to apply constant thrust, so you no longer need to constantly face the direction of travel. Now when I drop in on your six, you can spin around and shoot me just as easily as I can shoot you. Besides, it’s not like you have a choice about how physics works in space, so you need to take advantage of everything you can.

   Unless in a little fighter, there should be guns all around, like a modern warship.

Yes, the Starfuries are one-man fighters, and yes, the capital ships (like the Hyperion) are coated in gun turrets (it’s not at all easy to spin a capital ship around to point the guns at little one-man fighters).

   Even if it was a fighter, it would make sense to just have 2 people and a rear-mounted gun (i.e. WW2 bombers)

Why? WWII bombers had rear-facing gun turrets for the very fact that they weren’t as manouverable as WWII fighters, and they needed to have a way to at least attempt to defend themselves if their fighter escorts weren’t the Tuskegee Airmen. We’ve experimented with 2-man fighter jets, but the consensus seems to be that with the exception of trainer aircraft (where the second seat is there so the instructor can try to save the plane when you lose control), two pilots in two fighters is a much more efficient use of manpower than two pilots in one fighter. Warplanes that are used largely for bombing runs are more likely to have a dedicated bomber on the crew so one guy can keep an eye out for enemy fighters while the other guy can devote all of his attention to targetting the bombs. Of course, smart-bombs are kinda eliminating that need, since the bombs no longer have to be dropped with absolute precision to hit the intended target.

And if you think it would make sense to just put rear-facing guns on the ship for the lone pilot to control, just remember that it means he’s got to split his attention between two targetting systems.