 Space / 25556
Re: Hypothetical design question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:46:22 GMT

In lugnet.space, Rick Hallman wrote:

-on subject-
I agree in that crash nets would be good for a high speed manuver, they
    probably have an alarm or something for a high-speed turn, but how would
    a high speed turn affect a Destroyer? The Omega-Destroyer has the large
    grav section in it. Now, is that capble of a high speed turn or emergency
    turn or will it's rotational section go screwy like Babylon 5 did in "The
    Gathering"?

In "the Gathering" Series premiere, a large explosion occured on B5's
rotational section, throwing the rotation systems ajar, and emergency
thrusters had to be used to keep it in line, etc...

Rick, I would have to agree with what happens on B5.  Those crazy physics consultants .....always taking real physics into account!   :]

We're not talking about a Cooper Mini or anything.  Something that big simply
cannot turn on a dime (slow speed), and a high speed turn would add in
rotational accelerations that could exceed the design and/or safety limits of
the rotational structure bearings (as well as the superstucture of the ship's
spin), sort of like making a a long, spindly truss out of popsicle sticks and
white glue with a small weight uniformly distributed across the truss, and then
you go and wave the popsicle stick truss around wildly in the air.  That thing
will most likely crumple and fall apart, as opposed to breaking off at any one
point.  I anticipate the same situation with the destroyer; the large rotating
mass would continue along in straight line as the back bone of the ship shatters
and breaks apart during the high speed turn.

You're friendly neighborhood Trevor  :)