 Space / 25499
Re: Hypothetical design question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 04:07:26 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote: -snip-
   I think the biggest problem for a ship accelerating towards light speed is not particles, but energy consuption. remember, the faster you go, the more energy you need to propell yourself, and this increases exponentially. essentially, accelerating matter to light speed would require an infinite amount of energy, so if you are going close to light speed, and already have the technology to do that, you’d probably also have figured out how to deal with microparticles.

-snip-

-Jr.Mar.Hoffman

Now I’m going to start this off with the fact I’m no physicist. I’m not an expert. And everything I’m about to say is relayed from endless conversations I’ve had with my father about space travel.

You see, my father worked for NASA for a great deal of time (30 years+?), and he explained it to me this way.

The energy needed to accelerate in space is negligable, due to the lack of friction due to atmosphere and terrain. You see, here on earth, you must use more and more energy to go faster and faster not because you need that energy to reach that speed, but because you need that energy to sustain the speed. Atmosphere, gravity, terrain, all adds friction, fighting against your momentum, and slows you down (unless you’re flying and terrain means very little).

In deep space, away from serious gravitation forces (like stars and planets) there is little to no friction or forces to slow you down. Ergo it takes almost no energy to sustain speed. You only need a little push to start you off.

This is why NASA scientists are looking into a pulse drive for deep space travel. Pulsing the engine for acceleration and allowing momentum to cover the distances.

That’s what the Apollo astronauts did to get to the moon. Short, controlled burns. Too long of a burn, and they’d speed up too fast and miss their target and crash or go flying far far away. Too short, and they’d slow down due to the earth and moon’s gravity and could possibly crash.

Theoretically, any engine in deep space could allow you to travel to light speed or very close to it, assuming you have enough fuel and time on your hands to accelerate that long. Granted, the FASTER you want to accelerate, the more engery you’ll have to use.

So basically if you had a large, low acceleration engine on the back of your ship, you could reach almost any speed, as long as you left it turned on constantly and were willing to wait. It would provide constant acceleration with very little to know friction to slow it down.

As for errant particles, I like the idea of a magnetic wake shield.

--Anthony