 Space / 25581
Re: Hypothetical design question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:48:29 GMT

In lugnet.space, Rick Hallman wrote:
   -off subject- Not to burst anything, but I think the Hyperion is far less then 1200 meters, due to comparison with the Nova and Omega Destroyers. The Destroyers are 1717 meters long. B5tech.com lists the Hyperion at 1,025, which is slightly over half the destroyers length, which seems more appropriate.

That webpage was the only source I could think of that listed the Hyperion’s length, but I was a bit doubtful of the total accuracy of everything. I kinda remember a TNG ep where it was mentioned that the Romulan Warbird (D’deridex) was about twice the size of the Enterprise-D, but this webpage shows it being at least twice as long, which, using rough estimates, would actually make it about eight times the size, not twice. Either way, 1025m isn’t much faster than 1200m. Total time with 1G of force applied to the rotation should be about 24 seconds at 1025m, and about 26 seconds at 1200m.

   -on subject- I agree in that crash nets would be good for a high speed manuver, they probably have an alarm or something for a high-speed turn, but how would a high speed turn affect a Destroyer? The Omega-Destroyer has the large grav section in it. Now, is that capble of a high speed turn or emergency turn or will it’s rotational section go screwy like Babylon 5 did in “The Gathering”?

Pretty much every Earthforce capital ship had a rotating crew section in the middle. Properly designed it might be able to handle a rapid 180, but the big problem is that the rotation of that section is probably going to resist any end-for-end rotation. I’m not a physicist, so I can’t give you the exact numbers, but the crew section should act as a giganormous gyro-stabilization system.

   In “the Gathering” Series premiere, a large explosion occured on B5’s rotational section, throwing the rotation systems ajar, and emergency thrusters had to be used to keep it in line, etc...

I’m not entirely sure the production staff had in mind, but there are a variety of reasons they could have had trouble. A large enough explosion could have jammed the bearing system (though I don’t know if additional thrust would exactly fix the problem), a properly directed explosion (ie, if it blew out at an angle instead of perpendicular to the tangent point) could have had the effect of a retro-thruster on one section of the rotating section (and causing the next couple sections to back up behind it), or it could have knocked the station core out of allignment (causing that whole gyro-thing to screw things up).