 Space / 25475
Re: Hypothetical design question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:08:52 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jonathan Mizner wrote:

But you’re going at .95c, which means you’re hitting lots of particles per second. If your ship has a frontal area of 9 sq meters, and 90000 square centimeters, that’s 90,000 molecules you’re running into for every centimeter forward in space you travel. At .95c, one is traveling quite a few centimeters forward per second. Heat would accumulate enormously fast, almost instantly fast at such a speed, and would probably fatal to the craft.

Jonathan,

The craft would indeed contact a lot of particles (about 2.85x10^14 per second per square meter of frontal area at 0.95c) but the energy per particle is very small. So the total energy of those particles seems manageable in principle, in the department of ‘if you’ve done six impossible things this morning...’

I should note that I don’t think you could necessarily make do with mechanical shielding alone, or would want to if you could, in part because smashing atoms together at near-light speeds would not seem to involve kinetic heating alone.

In terms of the thought exercise of what the starships from “Revelation Space” would/should look like (assuming they wouldn’t be instantly vaporized), I think there would be the ‘streamlined’ forward shroud, radiators as the most conspicuous exterior feature aft of and in the ‘shadow’ of the shroud (which in the absence of heating would tend to get very cold in interstellar space), and a rear drive module, also probably in the shadow of the shroud.

The main problem is making the edges, I’d say. Although someone did make a highly impressive A-wing-like racer on brickshelf a while back (using a few clone parts, but quite forgivable in the circumstances) using all-tiled surfaces with many angles.

Agreed. At nanoscale, you might get some mileage from cones, cylinders, and antennas. Otherwise, the builder would seem to have to carefully manage plate and tile gaps. There would be more design freedom for the parts that didn’t have to be streamlined.

Regards, Tom