 Space / 25432
Re: Hypothetical design question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:01:48 GMT

In lugnet.space, George Haberberger wrote:
In lugnet.space, Sylvia Tresto wrote: [...]

Well, it's only theoretical at the moment, but scientists believe that there's
such a thing as "Dark Matter".  It is invisible to all modern sensing systems
(including the naked eye), but it is the only explanation for certain celestial
events we've observed.  So, if you want, you can rationalize an aerodynamic
spaceship by saying that all that dark matter has the effect of vacuum at low
speeds and a fluid at near-light speeds.  This is the basic approach I take for
my ships ;-)

So, for a near light speed craft, anything hitting it would probably destroy it,
if it didn't have some sort of shield. I can't find the link, but there is a
page that describes very nicely what happens when an object the size of a soup
can hits a Star Destroyer at half the speed of light ( a huge explosion).

Yeah, I saw that page, too.  It was complex, but cool.  That's when I started
employing mass drivers in my fictional navy :-)  "Sir, what should we do with
these surplus cans of soup?"  "Well, here comes an enemy destroyer--toss 'em
into the mass driver!"

Thanks,

George

Interesting discussion.  Whether you try to stick to realistic explanations, or
just want to have fun, keep up the good work and creativity!

~Andrew~