 Space / 25457
Re: Hypothetical design question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 01:44:12 GMT

In lugnet.space, Sylvia Tresto wrote:
> Okay, just something I thought of while fiddling with my LEGO: An
aerodynamic
> desigh is only handy in atmosphere and not necessary in space, right? I
remember
> it from physics lessons and some posts in this newsgroup. But space is not a
> true vaccuum, is it? There is all sorts of stuff out there, even if it
is only
> on a molecular or atomic level. So if a spaceship had a revolutionary drive
> which would allow it to travel close to lightspeed (let's stay true to
Einstein
> and assume faster is no option) it should be very aerodynamic or its would
> sustain heavy damage from even the smallest of particles out there. Am I
right
> or have I completely overlooked something?

no, you are correct.  In Star Trek they talk a lot about the "Navigational
Deflector" which is that big radar dish thingy that sits under the saucer
section at the front (Voyager has two, the back up deflector is that recess
at the front of the elongated saucer and Enterprise's is, also, the recess
at the front of the saucer.

the point being is that the "Deflector" does just that, deflects objects
that may stray across the ships path, obviously it has limits or else the
could just fly through stars.
Shields could also be used to a degree to achieve the same result.

Aerodynamics only work when there is a substance (gas or liquid) to move
through.  Space is mostly a vacuum so the objects in space's movements are
not dictated but the medium in which they exist (in this case, a vacuum).

Does that make sense?

Trav (-|-)