 Space / 25425
Re: Hypothetical design question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:52:27 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Sylvia Tresto wrote:
   Okay, just something I thought of while fiddling with my LEGO: An aerodynamic desigh is only handy in atmosphere and not necessary in space, right? I remember it from physics lessons and some posts in this newsgroup. But space is not a true vaccuum, is it? There is all sorts of stuff out there, even if it is only on a molecular or atomic level. So if a spaceship had a revolutionary drive which would allow it to travel close to lightspeed (let’s stay true to Einstein and assume faster is no option) it should be very aerodynamic or its would sustain heavy damage from even the smallest of particles out there. Am I right or have I completely overlooked something?

I think the biggest problem for a ship accelerating towards light speed is not particles, but energy consuption. remember, the faster you go, the more energy you need to propell yourself, and this increases exponentially. essentially, accelerating matter to light speed would require an infinite amount of energy, so if you are going close to light speed, and already have the technology to do that, you’d probably also have figured out how to deal with microparticles.

True, of course. However, I was wondering about the most efficient design to make that large ammount of energy used effeciently!

in my universe, aerodynamic (curved) designs are accepted for primarily aesthetic, rather than technical, reasons.

In mine the situation is similar..

i think once you start bending the rules in any one area (ie, able to accelerate close to light speed, etc), you also have to bend rules in other areas, too.

and in the end the point is this: build for whatever reasons you want and make up the physics that explain it. personally, i just try not to blatantly contradict anything that is still accepted in physics (ie, light is constant, light speed is the fastest you can go, etc).

Thanx! Love, Sylvi