 Space / 15872
Re: New space building standard and submission to www.classic-space.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 14:20:03 GMT

In lugnet.space, Luke Ma writes:

   Tempo, notes, key signatures...that is not really music theory...it is
only part of it.  Those qualifications are analogous to the color of a
brick, how it is attached, the length of a brick, etc.  And you're right.
They are only descriptive.  What Damien has done is more like harmonic or
Schenkerian analysis.  He has set up a formal/abstract framework with which
to understand creativity (like harmonic/schenkerian analysis...or
pitch-class set since it's somewhat mathematical).

I've done some homework:
http://www.schenkerguide.com

It was very helpful - although this example was used strictly as an analogy,
I think I have a much better grasp on what Damien's concepts.  His
constructors (pair, bridge, balance etc) are somewhat analogous to musical
constructs like the arpeggio or linear progression.

The constructors provide a framework with which a Schenkerian-like analysis
is possible.  From the Schenker Guide website: a Schenkerian analysis
"explains how music is made up of a series of common melodic elements," and
"shows how tonal music can be said to be 'in a key.'"  So, a similar
analysis on a classic space model might explain just what makes it look like
'classic space.'

Although reading about SA has helped me understand it, I don't think it was
Damien's intent that his Calculus be used in this manner.  SA is clearly a
deconstructive process (it requires at least a partially completed piece of
music to be analysed) and Damien has repeatedly said that his Calculus is
intended for design alone.  Or, is some analysis of completed classic space
models necessary, so the 'common melodic elements' (perhaps a blue slope
symmetrically mounted on a pair of grey wings) can be defined?

Is the ability to perform a Schenkerian-like analysis merely a side-effect?
Grammar can be used to construct text, but can also be used to analyse text.

Jeff J