 Space / 15779
Re: New space building standard and submission to www.classic-space.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:02:11 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin writes:
In lugnet.space, Damien Guichard writes:

http://brickcaster.multimania.com/misc/building_calculus

Um.

Speaking only for myself here, my LEGO building is more of an artistic
endeavor. I build things until they "feel" right or I decide they look the
way I want them to.

Besides that, I got lost somewhere in all the math-speak (double plus
ungood) and just quit reading it by the second paragraph. Sorry, but you
lost me there.

~Grand Admiral Muffin Head
Mark's LEGO(R) Creations
http://www.nwlink.com/~sandlin/lego/

Hi Mark,

Particularly interesting. You are not so far.
Let the "right feel" surface to conscious and describe me its shape.
Would it not be an artistic endeavor?

At first I wanted to prepend a "reader guide" introducing paragraph to
facilitate progression. But finally I did not. May be then you would have
stopped at first text paragraph which is not really more efficient. Here is
a more intuitive presentation I made for Jesse Alan Long (read it rather
slowly):

You start a new classic space creation with the big picture in mind.
The basic idea is that turning this big picture into an actual model
requires a myriad of atomic design decisions. Just like a piece of matter is
made of a myriad of atoms. The main hypothesis is that these constructive
(=difficult) decisions are only 5 in number:
* pair = join 2 neighbor bricks
* bridge = join two pillars
* support = make a pillar
* balance = make two heights equal
* floor = provide a surface
Other decisions are said to be decorative (=easy).
A brick has studs at top and antistuds at bottom.
So a brick can fulfill two roles: a bottom role and a top role.
Obviously bottom role is either "pair" or "bridge".
Obviously top role is either "support", "balance" or "floor".
Then the comcept easily justifies the selection and placement of bricks. The
selected brick has a shape compatible with the two roles assigned to the
placement. Conversely roles are assigned to placements thanks to constraints
generated by other bricks: a bridge joins 2 pillars so a bridge requires two
pillars.

Thanks for criticism,

Damien