 Space / 15800
Re: New space building standard and submission to www.classic-space.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 03:48:02 GMT

"Alexander Zwagerman" <alexander@zwagerman.net> wrote in message
news:H036vr.BAo@lugnet.com...
I'm with Mark on this one. Although LEGO is great for learning maths and
logical thinking (I have used LEGO in the classroom, being a teacher), • it's
basic strength is enabling one to be creative. Creativity must lie within
the limits of the product of course, but why waste time describing those
limits when you can actually explore ways to make something beautiful in
itself, beauty as such. Oh art indeed!

I don't think theory describes only the limits of anything it's trying to
describe.  Most would agree that music is in essence a creative
endeavour...some would dare say the ultimate in expression and creativity.
I'm not going to argue that here.  What I'm going to propose, though, is
that theory does not so much limit creativity as to help it along.  Theory
of essentially creative subjects, such as music, helps people to understand
the current state of creativity by giving it a framework, a context.  Much
like physics and math give context to the everday phenomenon we see like
gravity.  In understanding this theory, we see easily what hasn't been
explored.  To take an analogy people have used earlier: music was based on
harmonic theory for a while (beethoven, chopin, etc.) and people analyzed
this and saw that polyphony and harmonic progressions were the base of the
masters' creativity.  The next step (to jump to the 20th century) was to see
that notes are not necessarily the building blocks of "harmony".  Once we
have define harmony, we can understand it more easily and start exploring
ways to break out of it.  Whereas notes were used before,
ostinati )patterns), new timbral techniques, note clusters can form a new
basis for harmony.  Once we understand that, I'm sure people will break the
rules even further.

I do agree that this sort of academic formalization is not for most people
and won't help many people to build.  But I do think that it is nevertheless
an important contribution and even practically applicable...especially to
creations (abstract sculptures anyone?) that push the boundary of what Lego
can do.

Luke