 Space / 15988
Re: New space building standard and submission to www.classic-space.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 17:08:28 GMT

Hi Jeff,

Do you have any intention of expanding [your system]?
Maybe including technic?

It's not the time for expansion.
It's the time for consolidation.

I expected a slight conceptual change.
In my system being more mature means being more constructive.
So I expected part of the "ornamental" hierarchy to be promoted into
"constructive" hierarchy. But now I have found how.

Here is the conceptual change:

Now "accessory" and "egret" categories are obsolete and removed.
There is a new constructive category: "extension".

This category includes the obsolete "accessory" and "egret" categories.
A brick that initiates a model extension (possibly mobile) or forms a
prominence has an "extension" constructive role.
The "extension" category is defined only by constructive role, regardless
what parts play this role.
A scorpion tail like this:

http://brickcaster.multimania.com/themes/space/blacktron/little_scorpion

is an "extension" from base upto sting, regardless what bricks compose it.

As resulting benefits, the system:
1. is even more constructive (= less descriptive)
2. resolves some previously ambiguous cases
3. has fewer categories
4. can generate more models

The original document will not be updated.
A completely new document will be made when new developments, new examples,
new presentation, will justify it.

No chances that lego technic can be included.
Lego technic is a too much different building system.

One last point: Classic space made regular use of brackets
to attach engines, etc.  Would these be classified as accessories?
The 'accessories' catalog entry includes hinges and turntables.
What do you think of adding an entry for parts that act as a support
for other bricks but change the orientation of the studs?
Even classic space was not strictly studs-on-top.

As the system evolves more questions like these (that border the system
capacities) will find answer.

The answer in the revised system is:

Bracket plus engine form a prominence so both are instances of the new
"extension" category.

To change orientation of the studs is a descriptive and part specific role,
not an holistic building role. So no "StudsOnSide" or similar category will
be added. On the contrary, part specific categories are eliminated as far as
possible.

More about covered themes:

The system is a theme on its own.
It does not even try to completely cover classic space.
The good news is that some of my Blacktron and Futuron models prefectly
comply with the system. I also imagine that M-Tron, Aquazone and Insectoid
models can be produced. More precisely, my system can produce a subset of
many themes but is not flexible enough to produce whole themes.

One more insight:

How to start building ?
The answer is simple: either by "supports" or by "floors".

Thanks for your interest,

Damien