 Space / 15781
Re: New space building standard and submission to www.classic-space.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:04:54 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tom Sciortino writes:

http://brickcaster.multimania.com/misc/building_calculus

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, Ami Mizuno!  What do you mean by • all of
this on that page?

I kind of agree here.  This reminds me of music theory: while it's all true
and makes sense if you study it long enough, does John Williams really think
"I should change keys 12 bars into the second phrase using a regressive
cadence ending in a napoleonic 6th chord? an augmented 5th away from the
original key?"

I could see this as a way of defining a standardized "language" to describe
model construction if no pictures were available, but other than that...
When I build, I follow the extremely simple (albeit, harder to do than to
say) "draw a picture in my head (or on paper, if I can manage to get past my
complete lack of drawing skills), build that picture" model.

I mean no offense, I really am just asking you what made you think of this
and what is its purpose?  Now that I think about it, it might be handy to
sort my pieces into your constructors categories.  Currently, I have a "Lego
Bin" and a "Larger Pieces Lego Bin."  It would be nice to have decorative
elements in another place, regardless of size, so that they wouldn't get in
my way when I'm plowing through the bin looking for a plain old 1x2 brick to
allow me to finish the structural design.  Except so many pieces could
qualify for several categories.  Either way, you've given me much to think
about.  ;)

       -- Tom

Hi Tom,

Of course my concept describes the shape so there is some parallel with
music theory and other grammars.
It is a construction of its own. So one motivation is just the beauty of it.
A second motivation is that photos and building instructions come after the
model. What I need at creation time is a building system that precedes the
model and engenders it instead of being engendered by it. When commenting
pictures my categories are pathetic. But at creation time, when no building
instructions is available, they are my only cognitive tools to plan brick
assemblies.
It is actually written in 2nd paragraph that categories are not related to
bricks but to how you use them. So may be not so appropriate for sorting.
I am glad I have given you much to think about (a great compliment).

Thanks for criticism,

Damien