 Space / 15989
Re: New space building standard and submission to www.classic-space.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 17:11:03 GMT

Hi Luke,

Reading your wise replies one more time inspires me more comments.

Harmonic analysis is also
deconstructive in some ways but once you've gotten good at it (or read a
textbook), you find certain progressions that are pleasing and that always
work.  Composers don't always stay in these patterns locally and the best
compositons are the ones which dance around established progression but from
a broader point (say, a whole piece), it gives a composition direction,
shape, and unity.

Locality is an important aspect of my building system.
The system enforces local optimum.
I agree a global optimum may be more desirable.
The fact that a global optimum can be obtained by relaxing local rules makes
these rules even more valuable.
I also foresee that applying the patterns bo a broader level is the key to
bigger size quality models.

This is in my mind much closer to Damien's intent of how
his theory can be used. 1) Analyze existing lego masterpieces and possibly
derive some general holistic rules about what makes a good creation but even
more so 2) to use this knowledge and background to be able to more easily
create even better and more original models.

That's exactly the approach.
Of course the system does not define anything (especially not good creations).
It just helps you to build some good creations. Not any good creations.
It provides guildelines to select building patterns that work.

Many lugnet builders use a decomposing approach:
1. That want to ensure a final shape (generally big sized)
2. They plan a skeleton that will support this shape (and physical constraints)
3. They build this skeleton
4. They add the skin and the exterior look they want
5. They make interior equipping

Many really good creations on lugnet are of this kind.
My system has just zero value for people that want to build this way.
It does not help the AFOL approach (build a realistic model).
It helps the child approach (build a lego toy).

Thanks for your wise comments,

Damien