 Robotics / 21860
Re: Bump switches and "aggression"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 06:34:37 GMT

there's probably a way to use a light sensor to sense four different colored
bricks. one for each direction.
          = sensor
    red
    ylw
    blue
    wht  /
---\     /----

different heights of 'wedges' would lift a column, as a bumper is either
slid in, or the bumper pushed down and pivoting up.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gordon Elliott" <gelliott@csisc.cc>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 8:44 PM
Subject: Re: Bump switches and "aggression"

By the way, there are 5 states, all switches off, and each of the 4
switches. (That does not count the combinations if more than one switch were
triggered at the same time). Thus a binary solution would take three inputs,
just one less than the number of switches. One could provide OR function
with diodes, but the analog solution is superior with only one input if an
a/d inpuit is available. That solution can decode all 16 states of 4
switches.

To do with diodes and 3 inputs, label switches A, B, C, D, and inputs I1,
I2, I3. With some sort of pullup (is one native?) on I1, I2, I3, then:

|---|<--- I3

|---|<---I1
|---|<---I3

|---|<---I2
|---|<---I3

|---|<---I1
|---|<---I2
|---|<---I3

I3 obviously triggers sensing some input, then I1 and I2 decode
combinations.

Given use of 3 inputs, and say only one more diode, one could have 6
switches if that did any good:

|---|<--- I1

|---|<---I1
|---|<---I2

|---|<---I2

Though using 3 inputs, this scheme solves certain problems with triggering
two nearby switches, say that A through F were in a circle so F was back
next to A. Then a trigger of any pair of neighbors only gives an off by one
error.

-- Gordon