 Robotics / 21818
Re: WWW spider
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 15:57:19 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Paul Kleniewski wrote:

"Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:HpDyM3.A0z@lugnet.com...

Yes, I understand that you would have the downward pressure of the step move
stop the leg movement by cutting off pressure to the piston(s) driving the foot
down.  Once this pressure is cut off by the switch, presumably the other legs
continue with the sequence.

yes
i tried some sequensers during weekend
and i'm on the way to create this functionality
i hope it will work :)))

Good luck!  I look forward to it.

Eventually the sequence gets back to the foot that is on the step and the foot
does not move (because the switch, acting as a touch sensor) still has the
pressure turned off).  It seems like the leg never starts moving again.

i think this could be done by the mechanism which could work as "clear" method
so let's say at the end of the sequence there will be a step called clear
and this step will set/reset some of the "dead" states

pistons which will akt as clear
should be connected to valves not in the same way as "normal" pistons
i assume "normal" piston is connected to valve let's say 1:1
so if the piston moves in or out the valve is moved from one end to the other end
but the clear should work in the way which would move the valve to the only one direction
when clear piston gets back it doesn't move the valve

of course the meaning of "clear" depends on you

Hmmmmm....  I wondered if you might be thinking of this.

A common method used in the past was to use a central pneumatic timer circuit
that control the muscle pistons and make them move.  This is what Doug Carlson
did in his beatiful and ground breaking pneumatic hexapod:

http://www.visi.com/~dc/hexapod/index.htm

The central timing circuit feeds the muschle pistons in the hips and legs.  One
downside to this is that the timing circuit and its piston switching is
independent of the muscle expansion/contraction rate of the legs and hips.  Doug
had to make sure that the load on the timing pistons was greater than the load
on the legs or hips.  This way Doug made sure that the legs and hips always hit
their expand/contract limits.  The downside to this is that the heavy load on
the timing circuit means his hexapod had to have high pressure to walk.

I tried using this technique on some designs, but didn't like the result.

My strategy for making sure the pistons hit their limits is to make the muscle
pistons also play the role of timing pistons.  Quad 242 has a total of 10
pistons.  Eight are both muscle and timing pistons (which is why they all have
switches used to instrument their state).  Only two of the pistons are timing
only.

When you "clear" the pistons to create alternate behavior you'll have to decide
whether you really want to change the muscle/timing system's state, or simply
ignore the switch outputs of the hung leg and instead use alternat values to
pass into the state machine.  It sounds like the second plan might be
inexpensive.

Expanding my sequencer design methodology to full blown state machines will be
interesting.

How do we tell the difference between the switch/pressure sensor being flipped
because of premature end of step and flipped because it is on the floor?

in these terms i think there is no difference between
"on the step" and "on the ground"

I'm interested in your idea, but I'm not sure how to use it.  It may be me
because I've not progressed from simple sequencers to complete pneumatic state
machines that change state because of external inputs as well as current state.
Quad242 plus the polarity reversers can do this if you consider the positioning
of the polarity reversers' handles as inputs.

i thought about the sequencer as about electronic machine :)

Oh...

I suppose that if you combined the switch that is affected by weight bearing or
not in series with a switch that tells you if the leg is completely extended or
not, you could tell if the leg hit the ground prematurely.

yeah!!!
it's something like this

Do you really want to leg to freeze once we detect this situation?  This is
certainly not what my dog would do.  He'd extend the leg and keep going.  It
must be something special about the WWW spider that its trying to keep the body
at the same altitude no matter what the terrain?

no no no
WWW spider has nothing to it
it was just the idea to put additional elements into the circuit
which could "inform" the system there were some changes in the environment

"to inform" means to robot "do something extraordinary"
something different that the primary sequence
and get back to the original sequence if the cause will disappear

Ah yes.  When I refer to state machines I mean exactly this, where the pneumatic
circuit has a current state and inputs.  From this it calculates a new state.  A
sequencer only has current state.  From the current state it calculates the next
state (no matter what the outside conditions).

I think I understand your idea, I'm just curious how it fits in the big picture
(remember I'm trying not to have the RCX control articulation).

sure!!! i know
the same is with my new hexapod
i want to do all movements from one motor which will rotate in one direction only :)

Will you have two groups of three feet, where the two feet groups are 180
degrees out of phase?

br
pixel

Kevin