 Robotics / 21750
Re: an idea, can someone tell me if this is possible/been done before/etc?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 12:57:25 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Paul Kleniewski wrote:

"Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Hp8uqD.8yM@lugnet.com...

I'd recommend pneumatics instead of large number of RCX's.

but pneumatics gives you just automation
you dont have "adaptation"

i can imagine sensor-like pneumatic valve configuration
but it would be much more complicated than using rcx (even few of them)

let's take a small obstacle into consideration

when bot set the foot on the surface which is higher than expected
bot has to accomodate this obstacle
and decide if the original "program" of setting this foot (and next feet)
will continued unchanged or some changes have to be made
(it will cause the bot's body will slope or not)

solving this problem using pneumatics is VERY complicated
with rcx and even just touch sensors it looks (for me) much more simple

of course you can leave this problem and bot can go just like that
but i think it was not an issue

what do you think

My Quad242 has the ability to walk forward and backward, as well as turn right
or left.  Currently pneumatic switches, acting as pneumatic polarity reversors,
need to be manually flipped to change from behavior to behavior.  These behavior
modifying switches are not visible in the still pictures, but are visible in the
movies.

http://www.kclague.net/Quad242

Imagine that I add the RCX to this robot.  One RCX output controls the
forward/backward switches of Quad242.  A second RCX output controls the turn/not
turn switches of Quad242.

This leaves one motor output and three sensor inputs free to use for sensing and
reacting to the environment.  Also the infra-red port can be used for remote
control.

The pneumatics performs the low level behavior of leg movement.  The RCX
performs the high level behaviors you describe above.

This robot would have a *lot* of articulation for one RCX.

This is on the todo list for Quad242, but I've not gotten it done yet.
Articulated head and tail come first.

pixel

Feedback?

Kevin