 Robotics / 21744
Re: an idea, can someone tell me if this is possible/been done before/etc?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 03:12:15 GMT

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Steve Baker wrote:

Plenty of people have build eight legged walkers - that's not all that hard.

However, the machine in WWW is supposedly very flexible and could climb near
vertical cliff-faces, etc.
You'd need at least two or three motors per leg to get that kind of
flexibility. I'd suggest using one RCX per leg!

That's one approach, probably the wrong one considering the limitations
of the RCX. Instead of trying to solve your problems with the RCX why not
take the approach of the original; pullies, gears, differentials, gear
trains, etc. As I made allusion to in a earlier response to this thread,
don't think of 8 legs but 4 legs on two sets. And the two sets are always
out of sync (I'll leave the issue of a clutch/break for turning as an
exercise in gear trains).

Realistically, this would be very difficult.

I would say it's more tedious than difficult, the real question is what
would motivate somebody to spend that amount of time and effort to do it?
As much as I like robots, to build a complicated one in Lego/RIS somebody
will have to pay me $$$.

The issue of how the spider in WWW was controlled was of course quietly
ignored...but that's not something you could avoid.

Look up 'steampunk'. I'd also suggest looking a little closer at the robot
since it's clearly steam powered, controlled by mechanical levers (re
scene when West and Gordon first see it) which control cables that control
the joints. Remember this critical -fact-, it was a movie.

I can't remember which, but Babbage or Boole once made the comment after
looking at a new list of logarithms (which had errors) "God, I wish these
were done with steam".

-- --

Open Forge, LLC  24/365 Onsite Support for PCs, Networks, & Game Consoles
512-695-4126 (Austin, Tx.)  help@open-forge.com  irc.open-forge.com

Hangar 18  Open Source Distributed Computing Using Plan 9 & Linux
512-451-7087  http://open-forge.org/hangar18  irc.open-forge.org

James Choate  512-451-7087  ravage@ssz.com  jchoate@open-forge.com