 Robotics / 21792
Re: Bump switches and "aggression"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 17:11:35 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Choate" <ravage@einstein.ssz.com>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
I mentioned a 'reference platform' for the H18 group I've been working on
in a previous post, and I'm curious if anyone will share their views on
how they view bump switches and 'behavior'. I'm not interested in a
debate but rather a 'collection'. I'm interested in hearing how people • think
about it. Think of it as a survey of the current state of the art. I'm not
looking for private replies to this, please.  This means please send your
responce to the list you recieved it from. Thanks.
###

I think this is an interesting question, relating to complexity and emergent
and evolutionary behavior which has been touched upon in other threads. (And
I shall have some comments on relating to answers on those threads.)

One interesting answer related to rabbit behavior--that a real rabit behaves
differently depending upon whether it bumped into something and whether it
received a surprising stimulus. I will differentiate these in a moment.

An interesting anicdote on rabbit behavior: A friend's dog was apparently
quite intelligent and knew the rabbit's hole's positions. Dog spied the
rabbit, rabit the dog. Rabbit moved diagonally away from the hole,
initially, BUT the dog headed not toward the rabit but toward the hole. Then
rabbit turned and ran toward his hole, and dog was rapidly catching up to
cut off, having apparently guessed future behavior.

Now direclty on bump sensor vs. other senses: If moving in a particular
direction, and robot had _directioal_ bump sensors, then it could be
expectet that it would bump objects in the direction of its motion. That
would not be a surprise. But bump from other directions (especially if they
could be tracked to velocity and correlated to robot's motion so side impact
is decoupled from simple side swipe trigger, and certainly in all sides not
in its 'forward' direction of the moment) would be a "surprise" and could
reasonably trigger flight behavior.

##
But Jim, in other threads (that happen for example to deal with complexity
and emergent behavior issues) you have been quite a contrarian.
Argumentative answers were given that seemed to redefine terms as you chose,
and did not give credit to other posters for having interests that shaded
words like "complexity" for example in different meanings from the
definition you chose. Here you desire input. If you expect list members to
reply positively and as requested, you may wish to consider your own
behavior.

Also here you ask to send response to respective list. But in response to my
and other's posts you reply to the person, with CC to the list, in some
cases with multiple addresses of the person with the same post. For example
I received a reply with two copies from you, and one from the list. If you
ask us to reply "to the list", I suggest it would be helpful for you to do
the same in reply to others. You have interesting subjects you bring up, and
I think that by considering other people a little more this would contribute
to interesting discussions.

Thanks
Gordon Elliott