 Robotics / 21749
Re: an idea, can someone tell me if this is possible/been done before/etc?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 12:01:15 GMT

"Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Hp8uqD.8yM@lugnet.com...

I'd recommend pneumatics instead of large number of RCX's.

but pneumatics gives you just automation
you dont have "adaptation"

i can imagine sensor-like pneumatic valve configuration
but it would be much more complicated than using rcx (even few of them)

let's take a small obstacle into consideration

when bot set the foot on the surface which is higher than expected
bot has to accomodate this obstacle
and decide if the original "program" of setting this foot (and next feet)
will continued unchanged or some changes have to be made
(it will cause the bot's body will slope or not)

solving this problem using pneumatics is VERY complicated
with rcx and even just touch sensors it looks (for me) much more simple

of course you can leave this problem and bot can go just like that
but i think it was not an issue

what do you think

pixel