 Robotics / 21793
Re: Bump switches and "aggression"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 17:33:34 GMT

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Gordon Elliott wrote:

An interesting anicdote on rabbit behavior: A friend's dog was apparently
quite intelligent and knew the rabbit's hole's positions. Dog spied the
rabbit, rabit the dog. Rabbit moved diagonally away from the hole,
initially, BUT the dog headed not toward the rabit but toward the hole. Then
rabbit turned and ran toward his hole, and dog was rapidly catching up to
cut off, having apparently guessed future behavior.

You should watch my three dogs hunt. If all you've ever seen is a single
dog hunt then you know nothing of how dogs actually hunt. They're pack
animals, a single dog can't survive in the wild more than a few weeks. Yet
three sub-200lb dogs can take a 1,000+ lb Elk down.

Now direclty on bump sensor vs. other senses: If moving in a particular
direction, and robot had _directioal_ bump sensors,

There's the fundamental difference there is -no- reason to have
directional bump sensors. If you are moving along a path and a bump sensor was
hit that is all you need to know to change your path. You don't need to
know in which direction. An Ameoba would be a good example.

is decoupled from simple side swipe trigger, and certainly in all sides not
in its 'forward' direction of the moment) would be a "surprise" and could
reasonably trigger flight behavior.

Bumps in the forward direction need to trigger 'flight' as well, otherwise
you're stuck. Rather contrary to the purpose of the design.

But Jim, in other threads (that happen for example to deal with complexity
and emergent behavior issues) you have been quite a contrarian.

I disagree big deal. What is telling is your emotional response to it by
making the discussion personal (and I think unprofessional) by making it a
ad hominim issue.

Argumentative answers were given that seemed to redefine terms as you chose,

I have redefined zero terms.

Put up or shut up.

If anyone is a contrarian it is you, your action of taking a technical
discussion into a personal one is primary evidence to that end.

Have a nice day.

-- --

Open Forge, LLC  24/365 Onsite Support for PCs, Networks, & Game Consoles
512-695-4126 (Austin, Tx.)  help@open-forge.com  irc.open-forge.com

Hangar 18  Open Source Distributed Computing Using Plan 9 & Linux
512-451-7087  http://open-forge.org/hangar18  irc.open-forge.org

James Choate  512-451-7087  ravage@ssz.com  jchoate@open-forge.com