 Robotics / 21846
Re: Bump switches and "aggression"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:13:15 GMT

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, David Koudys wrote:

I'm very new to this particular thread, but I like Gordon's
approach--directional sensors are needed.  If I'm travelling forward and
something bumps me from behind, I need to know that

Actually you don't, you want a different level of sensors to evaluate the
environment (eg ir object sensors).

You're just complicating your design by putting too many functions on each
layer of sensors.

For example, something bumps you from behind indicates an -active-
envornment-, something the vast majority of Lego's don't do. They're the
only bot on the field. If you are in an active environ then having that
sort of bump response isn't going to do you anygood. I'll leave the actual
exercise of working through the 4 combinations as an exercise.

-- --

Open Forge, LLC  24/365 Onsite Support for PCs, Networks, & Game Consoles
512-695-4126 (Austin, Tx.)  help@open-forge.com  irc.open-forge.com

Hangar 18  Open Source Distributed Computing Using Plan 9 & Linux
512-451-7087  http://open-forge.org/hangar18  irc.open-forge.org

James Choate  512-451-7087  ravage@ssz.com  jchoate@open-forge.com