 Robotics / 21767
Re: an idea, can someone tell me if this is possible/been done before/etc?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 20:36:10 GMT

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

One of my design goals when making robots is to not use the RCX unless it is
needed.

For me it is much more of a challenge (and therefore more interesting) to
make complex autonomous robots without using the RCX.

A man after my own heart ;) It seems to be the way nature works too, start
simple only add complexity when a energy capture issue arises and forces
an adaptive response. Most adaptions are neutral, despite the dribble
they teach all the way up to college. If they weren't then it would be a
lot harder to get pregnant and take it to term. This realization goes back
to the 60's to a oriental/japanese researcher whose name I can't remember
at the moment.

With regard to obstacle detection for legs, I was playing around with
various ways of measuring the increased torque a motor puts out in a
stalled condition. I was thinking of a spring (ie rubber band) loaded
co-axial ratchet/cam that would hit a switch to tell the robot the leg was
blocked and it needed to be put down now. That way it would work
irrespective of the direction of translation (things can block the leg
both ways).

Additionaly. from some of the previous discussion on the topic of leg
blocking it seems people think this is a leg up/down issue when it's
actually a translation issue. Worth making a specific mention if  that
impression is accurate.

-- --

Open Forge, LLC  24/365 Onsite Support for PCs, Networks, & Game Consoles
512-695-4126 (Austin, Tx.)  help@open-forge.com  irc.open-forge.com

Hangar 18  Open Source Distributed Computing Using Plan 9 & Linux
512-451-7087  http://open-forge.org/hangar18  irc.open-forge.org

James Choate  512-451-7087  ravage@ssz.com  jchoate@open-forge.com