 Organizations / United States / 463
  Re: Age limitations

(...) I did ask for consideration of the FAQ *and* my posts. You're not doing that. (...) I assure you that I wouldn't be going to such lengths to discuss this decision if it were a solitary opinion of my own. I try to be a reasonable person. (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Well, the FAQ is the only "policy" of the group that I see. Other than that, I see a single member of the organization sharing his views, which may or may not be those of the rest of the organization. I did notice that I didn't comment on a (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) You could argue for 21(voting), 16(age of consent/age you can marry) or any myriad of ages around the world where people are subject to laws. (...) let's hope they're taking about Lego or maybe it's adult talk ! (...) Hey Frank, why don't we (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Do you really think attempting destructive action will help anybody? I don't think Shiri would exactly feel welcomed into this group if this were the way it happened. We're not a government. Voting isn't a binding sort of legal thing. It's the (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I have to agree with Mathew on that one, and because of that we also need to be carefull about how much we antagonize the current members. What I hope to accomplish by participating in this debate is any of the following: - convince NELUG to (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) You could. But 18 is the age where, in the United States, you are legally responsible for yourself. (The age of majority.) Many members of NELUG are concerned about the possible legal implications of accepting minors into our group. You mocked (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I (...) In the US (which is what matters here), 18 is the voting age. This is the commonly accepted age of adulthood in the US (though drinking and smoking usually require being 21, and 16 is the age of consent for many things, though kids (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I can't see how she would ever feel welcome with people who are running this exclusive misnamed organisation. Not a government, how about legislative body. Have a secret ballot (as opposed to secret handshakes). By the way, I have no aim in (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I'm taking this seriously (and staying up later than I'd like, to discuss it) because I think Shiri's request deserves that. It doesn't sound like it's a joke to her. (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) My aims too, Frank. By pointing out how you can be more ridiculous than the ridiculous shows that their position can be dismantled. They need to rename the group to include Adult in the title. Bad luck that Shiri doesn't live in a more (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) You like taking things out of context. That particular line was a joke, NOT the whole argument. I work nights, so I'm staying up too ! Don't twist things around and try and make it appear that your supporting her or her request, you are (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) What's ironic is that Shiri did get together with a bunch of people in the Boston area (most of whom I assume are NELUGers). As I recall from watching the planning of the meeting at TCS and retirement to a nearby eatery is that Shiri was one (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) "NELUG" mirrors the many computer users' groups in the world. I don't think any deep thought went into the name, but it has an implication that we are something different from the normal Lego kids' club. "Users' groups" are generally for (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) It's not ironic; it's intentional. We're not hard-hearted evil people. See: (3 URLs) I didn't realize that Shiri wasn't allowed to participate in the window display at TCS; I was really busy at work during that time, so someone else will have (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) So Shiri isn't a "serious" LEGO fan? My dictionary doesn't define "serious" as implying "adult". I have to admit that I've never joined any sort of "users group" (<sick humor>of course if one uses the coloquial definition of "user" then I'm (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I think Matther is giving consideration to Shiri's request. He has stated that he is willing to bring the issue up again in a future meeting. Let's not allow our frustration with the situation cause us to start throwing bricks (and I will (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Here, you go again, selective snipping. (...) What LUG isn't different from a kids club. We wouldn't even blink if a sixteen year old wanted to attend. But then in Australia we don't have a lawyer on every corner. (...) Rules need to be (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  (canceled)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I think you started replying before you read the whole message: (...) We felt that we had to draw the line somewhere. I don't remember the particulars of other people's opinions on this next point, but personally I think making exceptions / (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) That was the one part of your post I was replying to. I don't think I removed anything relevant to my reply or that would characterize what you're saying. If I did, I apologize. (...) That I don't doubt. I'm concerned about consequences for (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Actually, I was 18 at the time. I turned 18 the end of February this year. -Tim (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

I mean: (...) ^ -mis (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) feel (...) Oops... I'm starting to recall that you were pressing for a non-NELUG meeting so that Shiri could attend (but that's all just a muddle). On the other hand, as I pointed out before, nothing magical (except a few stupid legalities) (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Yep, I was. (...) Exactly. -Tim (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) So what are you going to do when some 21 year old demonstrates the maturity of a 3 year old? As far as the maturity issue goes, all you're doing by specifying an age is reducing the number of potential conflicts, you can't eliminate them. So (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) as (...) No I did read the whole message. What I'm trying to do is get you to re- examine the reasoning that led to the feeling the group had to be adult only. So far, the only issues which I can accept as legitimate which have been raised are (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) There is the ability to seek self-custody prior to 18 through the courts. What about in the extremely unlikely event that someone who has done so wants to join? (I realize that the rule is still 18, but what if the reason behind the rule flys (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) What (...) Probably irrelevant, there are still legal issues which make a cutoff at age 18 (such as voting, though the voting age has almost no bearing on this debate, I assume that there are other legal issues which are relevant). Also, NELUG (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) No it doesn't. You acknowledged that they could find a way to stop you. What it does is show that you are not seeking a consensus. That what you want is to belittle, demean, and bend people to your will. I suspect quite sincerely, that you are (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Yep. Just as an aside, there is a process I often take architecture clients through (It's called QFD for the home audience to go look up if they want). It's quite formal and you get rather methodical and mechanical answers out at the end of (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Frankly, I would find the presence of bored parents disruptive. I have before. eric (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I wasn't in on the window display, but I beleive that the reasoning behind it was pretty simple: It was an official NELUG "event", complete with signage at TCS saying that the display was by NELUG; therefore, a non-NELUG member shouldn't be (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) I disagree with the first statement there -- I think everyone (myself included) is getting tripped up over the word "adult." Do you really mean to say that it is important to us (NELUG) to be a group of 18-and-older LEGO fans? I think what's (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) before. Possibly, maybe even probably, true. It depends on what is open for the bored parents to do. If there is another room where the couple bored parents and the bored spouse can hang out and do their own thing, or if the bored parents are (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) That's definitely important. But it actually _is_ important to some members (not unshakeably strongly for me, but maybe for some people, and I think it's a completely valid viewpointpoint) that it be an _adult_ group. After all, this is a (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) meeting (...) We are in hypothetical land here, unfortunately. I cannot speak for NELUG, only speculate. Organizing meetings is hard work. It's made harder when you have to: - make sure it's a bar that allows underage people - make sure (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Age limitations

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message ... <snip> (...) I might have missed something here in all the 300+ post, but what is "the T" and "x"? (24 years ago, 5-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) The T is the subway/trolley system in Boston. It's also the busses, but when people say "the T", they almost always mean trains. I'm not sure exactly what Larry means by "x", but I assume it stands for "getting there". [ -> off-topic.fun ] (24 years ago, 5-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) The "the T" is Boston's subway/train system. Sort of like how they call it "Le Metro" in Paris or "the Underground" in London. In Miami, we call our subway/train sytem "A waste of money", mainly because we know Miami is a car city, so only (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Funny, in the US anyway, it seems that the public transit that works the best was built a long time ago by private companies, and the public transit built recently in cities that didn't have any doesn't usually work at all. Here in Zurich, the (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Age limitations

Alright, I'm going to jump in here (I suppose it was inevitable) and say I'm agreeing with Todd-- (...) Well, I'll jump in here real quick with a minor point-- Lego's attitude has rarely (if ever, aside from the recent UCS sets and potentially LD) (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

Uhhh... tiny nitpick :-) (...) ^^^^^^ (you do mean NELUG, right?! just checking... didn't know there was a requirement for LUGNET too!! <grin>) Otherwise, you brought up some extremely valid points. -Shiri (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) Doh! The sad thing is I went through and tried to make sure I didn't DO that (I've been known to a couple times).. musta missed one... DaveE (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.org.us.nelug)