 Organizations / United States / 478
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 05:32:24 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Frank Filz writes:
In lugnet.org.us, Matthew Miller writes:
Peter White <aztekium@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
Hey Frank, why don't we all join NELUG (no geographical restrictions) and
vote down their restrictive rule (betcha they would find a way to stop us).

Do you really think attempting destructive action will help anybody? I don't
think Shiri would exactly feel welcomed into this group if this were the way
it happened.

We're not a government. Voting isn't a binding sort of legal thing. It's the
*agreement* that is critical.

I have to agree with Mathew on that one, and because of that we also need to
be carefull about how much we antagonize the current members. What I hope to
accomplish by participating in this debate is any of the following:

- convince NELUG to change its ways

- convince other groups to NOT adopt such a restrictive policy

- convince a group of people to start a new group in at least the Boston area
with a less restrictive policy

My aims too, Frank.
By pointing out how you can be more ridiculous than the ridiculous shows that
their position can be dismantled.
They need to rename the group to include Adult in the title.
Bad luck that Shiri doesn't live in a more equitable part of the US.

pete.w