 Organizations / United States / 465
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 04:47:42 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Matthew Miller writes:
Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote:
I would encourage you to consider the things I've said in other posts, and
the points made in the FAQ on the web site.
Ok, let's consider them then:

I did ask for consideration of the FAQ *and* my posts. You're not doing
that.

I'd also point out that those of us who are not NELUG members are perhaps
being antagonistic because we see you taking a ridiculous stand. What is
interesting is that not only are you so far the only NELUG member to be
speaking in favor of the rule, you are the ONLY Lugnetter speaking in favor.

I assure you that I wouldn't be going to such lengths to discuss this
decision if it were a solitary opinion of my own. I try to be a reasonable
person. However, as I seem to be the only group member around, I felt it
somewhat my duty to attempt to explain the policy of the group, especially
in the face of being called "ridiculous" (as if that name calling justifies
anything!).

Well, the FAQ is the only "policy" of the group that I see. Other than that, I
see a single member of the organization sharing his views, which may or may
not be those of the rest of the organization.

I did notice that I didn't comment on a couple of the other items which
addressed the age issue, so here are comments on those:

] What defines an adult?
]
] Currently, we are asking for members 18 and up.

Can't argue with that one. That's a standard interpretation of "adult"

] Can minors attend with a parent/guardian?
]
] Sorry but no. The primary reason for this is that for most of our meeting we
] just sit around talking. Our feeling is that this would be both boring for
] the minor attending and for the parent/guardian in attendance. Even if the
] minor is interested in the discussion we really don't want "board out of
] their skull" parents sitting off in the corner wishing they could leave.

Well, I doubt the discussion would be boring to Shiri. Your FAQ doesn't
address the issue of minors attending with permission of their parents
(certified by a waiver if necessary). Shiri's parents probably would be bored,
but then, that wouldn't be your concern unless they would disrupt the meeting
because of their boredom.

I think I've addressed the points you've raised, but perhaps I've missed
something. If there is a point of yours you feel I've missed, feel free to
point it out.

Frank