 Organizations / United States / 464
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 04:37:24 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Matthew Miller writes:
Tim Courtney <tim@zacktron.com> wrote:
That was then, this is now.  Though I'm not denying your unanimous vote, but

"Then" was less than half a year ago. I'm not sure how that can be construed
as a long time.

It doesn't matter if it's a long time or not - if new things are brought up,
it's reasonable to request a second discussion about this.

<snip>
You are right -- I am not attempting to weigh the issues. I am attempting to
explain the official position of NELUG. (See: <http://www.nelug.org/faq/>.)

Of course, silly me... I totally forgot to reply to the points in the FAQ.

From the URL posted above...
What does NELUG do?

NELUG is currently a free organization whose main purpose is to facilitate
idea sharing and get-together's of LEGO® fans across New England. This of
course may change over time as we grow.
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hey, you said it. This can change. Mainly what I'm asking is that you consider
changing it, seeing that things are a bit different now than half a year ago.
Maybe if I had gotten involved in issues right off the bat (e.g. Mindfest and
lugnet in general) earlier this year, you might have taken a different course
of action. Maybe not. But perhaps you can think about it now.

Why do you cater only to adults?

The primary reason is that children already have their own "User Groups"
called their classmates. On average a child building with LEGO® has a large
number of friends they see every day that like the same thing.

Sorry, but WRT me this is a bunch of meaningless words. For high-school
students (and jr. high school too, I'm sure), my "classmates" are people who I
meet four times a week, some more and some less; they are certainly not
a "User Group", and certainly don't share my LEGO hobby. Heck, only two people
from my school have even *been* to my house, and only ~10 out of the 2000+
people in my h.s. know about my hobby at all. It is not something I can
normally take pride in - not at school. No way, no how.

Adults that build with LEGO® are much more widely dispersed and need a group
such as this one to help them meet other Adults with the same interests. We
are trying to build a mature environment for AFOLs rather then expand the
number of multi-generational groups that currently exist.

That's great for you. Too bad you don't realize that Teenager FOLs are yet
more dispersed than adults.
We can discuss the maturity part again and again, that won't get us anywhere.
Either you're going by age or maturity - those don't mix well.

Can minors attend with a parent/guardian?

Sorry but no. The primary reason for this is that for most of our meeting we
just sit around talking. Our feeling is that this would be both boring for
the minor attending and for the parent/guardian in attendance. Even if the
minor is interested in the discussion we really don't want "board out of
their skull" parents sitting off in the corner wishing they could leave.

Well I'm not asking for this. I don't *want* my parents do be present. They
probably don't want to be present. (Although they could if you required it.)

Let me assure you, I would not be bored by "sitting around talking".

Matt also wrote....
I think for Shiri's sake that we will talk about this at a future meeting,
but I don't feel that it's productive to hash things out here, especially
with the general antagonism displayed by non-members.

Well, I thought I was alone on this issue, personally I must say it is very
encouraging to see I'm definitely not.

-Shiri