 Organizations / United States / 486
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 05:55:50 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Matthew Miller writes:
Peter White <aztekium@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
exclusive misnamed organisation.

"NELUG" mirrors the many computer users' groups in the world. I don't think
any deep thought went into the name, but it has an implication that we are
something different from the normal Lego kids' club. "Users' groups" are
generally for serious [1] hobbyists -- and the implication is that it's for
"serious" Lego fans -- adults who love Lego.

So Shiri isn't a "serious" LEGO fan? My dictionary doesn't define "serious" as
implying "adult". I have to admit that I've never joined any sort of "users
group" (<sick humor>of course if one uses the coloquial definition of "user"
then I'm not sure I want ANYONE to be a member, that's abuse of LEGO [to snort
or smoke it...:-) :-) :-)]</sick humor>), but I wouldn't automatically expect
something called a "users group" to be adult only.

Also, NELUG certainly isn't the first LUG (though I think it is one of the
earlier ones).

This wasn't done with the intent to exclude someone like Shiri, but it's
very difficult to set up a structure which preserves the unique nature of
the group and yet perfectly covers all possibilities fairly. Unlike a
computer group, even despite the name, there's the possibility of
misunderstanding. The decision was made, as I'm sure we all know by now, to
draw the official line at 18.

I just wonder what is so unique about the nature of the group that there isn't
room for a mature youth? I can accept that you don't want some spoiled kid
who's going to pick up every model that is brought to a meeting and swoosh it
around, smash it, and then build something from the mingled bits. I also would
have absolutely no problem telling the parent of such a child that their child
is not welcome in the group. I have no problem with the organization wanting
some proof of maturity before allowing a particular youth to attend the
regular meetings (as opposed to shows and other events put on for the public -
which are a great way to meet people, and start the process of sizing them up).

Frank