 Organizations / United States / 489
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 06:06:15 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Matthew Miller writes:
Peter White <aztekium@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
exclusive misnamed organisation.

Here, you go again, selective snipping.

"NELUG" mirrors the many computer users' groups in the world. I don't think
any deep thought went into the name, but it has an implication that we are
something different from the normal Lego kids' club. "Users' groups" are
generally for serious [1] hobbyists -- and the implication is that it's for
"serious" Lego fans -- adults who love Lego.

What LUG isn't different from a kids club.
We wouldn't even blink if a sixteen year old wanted to attend.
But then in Australia we don't have a lawyer on every corner.

This wasn't done with the intent to exclude someone like Shiri, but it's
very difficult to set up a structure which preserves the unique nature of
the group and yet perfectly covers all possibilities fairly. Unlike a
computer group, even despite the name, there's the possibility of
misunderstanding. The decision was made, as I'm sure we all know by now, to
draw the official line at 18.

Rules need to be flexible, we have all seen unjust situations played out.
Maybe you should create a guest member status where an under 18 or such
could be 'signed in' by a board member for that meeting.

We all share the same major interest in the end, and all cop the same flak
from friends etc, it's just unfortunate, because both Shiri and NELUG would
gain from interacting at meetings.

[1] serious can be fun, too, of course.

More fun, than serious, from my experience.
Matt, grab some zzzz's, just give the situation some more thought.
pete.w - I rest my case.