 Organizations / United States / 569
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 19:33:05 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.org.us, Frank Filz writes:

Shiri's parents probably would be bored,
but then, that wouldn't be your concern unless they would disrupt the meeting
because of their boredom.

Frankly, I would find the presence of bored parents disruptive.  I have
before.

Possibly, maybe even probably, true. It depends on what is open for the bored
parents to do. If there is another room where the couple bored parents and the
bored spouse can hang out and do their own thing, or if the bored parents are
actually hosts, and are supplying cookies and coffee etc., then their impact
can be minimal, or even positive.

On the other hand, if they're in the corner of the room chit chatting, and
becomming restless, that's a problem.

My point is more that you needn't be concerned with how the parents feel as
much as you need to be concerned about the effect they have on the meeting
(positive in their non-LEGO contributions, positive in their allowing a valued
member, who happens to be a minor, attend, negative if they are disrupting the
meeting).

I do feel that mostly it's a moot point because you're not going to find many
parents willing to fill the role of "bored" parent, so it's not a good
solution, but also not a solution which should be absolutely rejected
(especially since there will be those rare and wonderful situations where the
16 year old AND the parent are FOLs).

Frank