 Organizations / United States / 473
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 05:22:12 GMT

Peter White <aztekium@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
You could argue for 21(voting), 16(age of consent/age you can marry) or any
myriad of ages around the world where people are subject to laws.

You could. But 18 is the age where, in the United States, you are legally
responsible for yourself. (The age of majority.) Many members of NELUG are
concerned about the possible legal implications of accepting minors into our
group. You mocked this in an earlier message, but you aren't in the US,
where crazy unreasonable lawsuits are an everyday occurrence.

To re-iterate yet again: it is important to us to be a group of adult Lego
fans -- that what makes it fun to us. (Lego would be fun no matter what, of
course. But it is part of the _particular_ fun of this group. [1] ) Exactly
what makes an adult is a difficult question (and as I also mentioned
earlier, we considered 21) and we decided on 18 as a natural limit given the
legal implications.

[1] You can call that ridiculous, or insecure, or cliquish, or whatever.
We've jokingly referred to it as a support group -- but there's some truth
to the joke.

--
Matthew Miller                     --->                 mattdm@mattdm.org
Quotes 'R' Us                    --->              http://quotes-r-us.org/