 Organizations / United States / 553
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 16:56:07 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Matthew Miller writes:
[...]
To re-iterate yet again: it is important to us to be a group of adult Lego
fans -- that what makes it fun to us. (Lego would be fun no matter what, of
course. But it is part of the _particular_ fun of this group. [1] ) Exactly
what makes an adult is a difficult question (and as I also mentioned
earlier, we considered 21) and we decided on 18 as a natural limit given the
legal implications.

I disagree with the first statement there -- I think everyone (myself included)
is getting tripped up over the word "adult."  Do you really mean to say that
it is important to us (NELUG) to be a group of 18-and-older LEGO fans?  I think
what's important to us (NELUG) is to be a group of "adult-acting" LEGO fans.

What is "adult-acting"?  By that I mean acting like an adult and not like a
child or mid-range teenager (19-year-old's are adults but still technically
teenagers).

Who cares is someone is 16 if they act mature enough to be twice that age?
I thought the group was about sharing ideas and experiences from an adult
viewpoint -- and that really has more to do with a state of mind than a
physical age.

I agree it's hard (nay, impossible) to define what "adult" means if it doesn't
simply mean "18 or older," but I submit that the average LEGO fan in the age
range 16-18 is more adult than the average non-LEGO fan in the same age range.

--Todd

[followups to .org.us.nelug]