 Organizations / United States / 552
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 16:54:04 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Jeff Johnston writes:

Personally, I think I missed the debate the first time around on the age of
members.  (Since I've never actually physically made it to a NELUG meeting,
I probably did - and I missed the vote as well.)  Still, I'm an official NELUG
member, and as such I would like to make a formal request, which will follow
in a new post.

It was done at a meeting, and I would like to make sure that any *further*
votes and discussion of this sort are held at meetings.

For one thing, NELUG does extend membership to anyone, regardless of physical
location (yes, yes, anyone over 18).  As someone mentioned before, it would be
very possible for people to join up, vote, and move on, seeking only to change
what they perceive as an injustice, leaving the real members of NELUG to either
throw away the vote or follow what was decided.

Second (and please, please, please don't take this the wrong way), attending
meetings shows a greater concern for the club than casually saying "I am a
member".  There are people who are *constantly* present at meetings, and I will
always hold their opinions as fully active and participating members over those
of someone who shows up once or twice, or someone who joins from Australia or
Siberia [1].  I think that's only fair.

eric

[1] Hey, they're both prison colonies, right? :D  Joke!  Joke!  I know they
don't really gulag people in Siberia anymore. Ha!