 Organizations / United States / 551
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 16:53:14 GMT

What is wrong with you people?

In lugnet.org.us, Jeff Stembel writes:

Fine.  Change the policy such that you don't have to do all that extra work
that seems to be so loathed by your group, and still let excellent builders
into the group who just happen to be younger than 18.  As it stands, it is
pointless, stupid, disruptive, and IMO, has caused more problems than being an
open and accepting group.

It has caused Shiri some emotional distress.  Probably seeing everyone here
fight about it has caused some more.

You assert that their policy is "pointless, stupid, [and] disruptive."

Wrong.  It is pointed, and the points have been explained ad nausium for those
who know how to read.  Maybe you missed those thirty notes in this thread?  It
is not stupid.  A bunch of very bright people got together and decided on this
policy for a bunch of reasons.  You don't like it.  Tough.  And the policy is
anti-disruptive; it is the multitude of the vociferous here that are
disruptive.

The wide crossposting was because she feels strongly about this, and wanted
support.  She had *no* idea this many felt strongly about NELUG's policy, in
her favor.

She claimed to have spoken to several people who agreed with her.  How then can
you assert this?  Maybe you missed that note too?

Personally, I'd like to know why...NELUG seems to be the only ones
that cannot stand to share your hobby with younger members.

Once again, the answer to what you claim to want to know has been discussed at
length.  I can only assume that one of two things has taken place.  You just
jumped in without reading 90% of this thread, or you're expressed wonder is
wholly disingenuous and you're really just trying to stir up trouble.  Would
you care to inform us which it is?

I have to tell you, though, that you're doing very little to sway my opinion
in your favor, and very much to prove to me that I was right in being one of
the people in NELUG to firmly stand behind the age limit.

She has been one of the few mature posters to this, much more mature than
either you or Matthew, IMO.

Mr. Pot, please meet Mr. Kettle, you might find you have something in common.

The fact that this is getting nasty should tell
you that everyone is sick and tired of NELUG's arrogant attitudes.

Or maybe some of us are completely neutral on it because it has almost nothing
to do with us and we're getting annoyed at your attitude too.

(FTR, I *do
not* think NELUG is evil, just terribly misguided in this case)

How very enlightened of you.

Now, I just want to say to Shiri:  You do *not* need to associate with these
arrogant jerks, Shiri.

I have worked hard to avoid calling names.  It's a shame you couldn't be
bothered.

Start a new group, and I gaurantee it'll be a success.

Guarantee in what sense?

I would also encourage all who are currently NELUG members and disagree with
the policy to leave and join the new open, understanding group.

Which ones are those?  I guess it's time for me to fess up to not having read
the segment of the thread where all the NELUGers came out of the closet
admitting that they didn't like the rule that they voted unanimously on.

Finally, if I ever move to New England, I will not join NELUG, under any
circumstances.  I do not need to associate with these types of people.

Do you suppose you'll get complaints from them?  I personally don't get the
idea that they're dying for extra members.

Chris