 Organizations / United States / 550
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 16:51:22 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Eric Kingsley writes:
Everyone else,

Thanks for those that have posted with constructive comments about the issue
it is appretiated and we will take those into account.

That being said let me say I am ashamed of many of you.  The personal attacks
and attacks on NELUG in general have gotten ugly, heated, and in many cases
unfair.  I am so upset with some of you right at this moment that I don't know
if whatever relationships we had will ever be fully repaired.  You have
successfully raked NELUG and its members names through the mud and made us
into the EVIL LUG.

For whatever damage my comments have done, I apologize.  I reread my few
posts, and though I may have attacked people or the group in a slight way, I
feel that I was in no way the main contributor, and cannot apologize for them,
for I am not them.

I can say that though I cannot understand what you're feeling because I'm not
you, what you have said here would be the response I would expect from a
respected member of NELUG, who I feel has done an exceptional job in relation
to Shiri despite the age restriction.

You should all know that I and the others members of NELUG are willing to
discuss the group and its policies constructively.  By attacking us you are
not furthuring Shiri's argument and I would suspect that in many cases Shiri
would agree that this discussion has gone to far.

In many cases it has.

The last time we voted on this there were 18 members in
attendance and the vote was unanimous.  Now I will admit that the vote was
taken by a show of hands so some pressure may have been felt that was not
meant.  If at our next meeting we decide to vote again I suggest that this
time it be by paper ballot so peer pressure is held to a minimum.

A good suggestion.

I thought we were all above the attacks in this thread and I am trully upset.
I just hope in time the wounds opened here will heal one day.

As do I.

Finally, our current rule is not some sort of vendetta against Shiri.  Maybe
we will change it maybe we won't it will be up to the group as a whole I just
hope everyone will respect our decision whatever it is.

I'm sorry to say that I don't know if that will be the case with this group.

Yours Trully, one upset and ashamed LEGO fan but proud NELUG & LUGNET member.

And very understandable.

Eric, let me say to you and to everyone that I respect you as a driving force
behind NELUG and as someone who has done a good job trying to accomodate Shiri
even though she is outside the bounds of NELUG.  I did a little research on
the original discussion yesterday, and I was pleased with your remarks.

I'm glad that you and others feel that it is necessary to bring this up at a
future NELUG meeting.

The question has been raised more than once in this thread that because NELUG
is a social group, and because of this discussion, will Shiri be welcome in
NELUG on a social stance if the rule is lifted?  I'm sorry to say that the way
I see this thread now, I don't feel she will be.  I would encourage the NELUG
members that if this rule is lifted, they make every attempt to welcome her
into the group and understand how she is feeling under her circumstances.

I also agree that both sides should look at the other's perspective and
analyze it in their evaluations of this and in the decision making process for
those who are involved in making the decision.

For myself, I hope to have an enjoyable time with NELUG in the fall, and like
you Eric, I hope these wounds heal fast.  This is Lego we're talking about
here, a toy and a hobby that many have found to be fun and should be fun.  I
have been priviledged to attend several Legofests in the past year and a half,
and I see the point of this hobby to get together and play with bricks,
exchange ideas, and build relationships.  Not to cut down in a demeaning
fashion and hold grudges, nor to make flagrant attacks coming from _either_
side.

As for now in this discussion, I feel strongly that both sides should calm
themselves down and take a long look at what has been said here.  Shiri's post
last night http://www.lugnet.com/org/us/nelug/?n=586 I believe does its part
in summing this up, and leaving the future discussion in the hands of NELUG.

And for me, I know that I am anxious to get involved in a LUG, and hope that
NELUG will welcome me and that I will feel comfortable there after this
discussion, which has unfortunately created animosity on both sides.  I cannot
agree with this age restriction rule, but at this point that is none of my
concern, as I have not yet attended any NELUG meetings and am not yet a member.

-Tim