 Organizations / United States / 530
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 15:05:00 GMT

Jude Beaudin wrote:

After reading Shiri's eloquent posts, I figured out a possible solution to the
age problem.

Thank you, Jude.  This is *exactly* what this discussion needs: people willing
to look at the opposing side's viewpoint, willing to try to understand it, and
willing to work *with* that viewpoint to get things done.

Fact: People in NELUG have concerns about allowing 'kids' in.  I think
that's clear.  Just telling them "your concerns are stupid" is not going to
change anybody's mind, and attacking them with demands that they change
and language like "exclusionary" is going to make people defensive and far
less likely to listen to reason.  I know that when I feel attacked, I am more
likely to dig in my heels and stick to my decision - however good or bad it
may be - than I am to actually consider the other side of things.

I like Shiri a lot, and I think she'd be a good member of NELUG.  But
reading some of the posts in this discussion almost make me want to keep
the age restriction, just so people don't start thinking they can get their way
by yelling and screaming the loudest. (And I am certainly not referring to
Shiri when I say that!  She has been nothing but mature throughout this
whole thing, and her only 'fault' is feeling lonely and left out.)  It makes
me feel awful that I want to react that way, but it'd make me feel awful to
give in after the way so many people have been acting.  Consider that, you
who have been offering your opinions.

Personally, I think I missed the debate the first time around on the age of
members.  (Since I've never actually physically made it to a NELUG meeting,
I probably did - and I missed the vote as well.)  Still, I'm an official NELUG
member, and as such I would like to make a formal request, which will follow
in a new post.