 Organizations / United States / 527
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 14:15:22 GMT

After reading Shiri's eloquent posts, I figured out a possible solution to the
age problem.

Not really anybody can be unsympathetic to Shiri's cause, but there is the
other side of the coin. The concerns about the maturity of members is
legitimate. The rules of NELUG were not put in place to exclude but to protect
the mandate of the group. In saying that, there is an old saying that applies,
"Rules are there to be broken." So let's get to the reason behind this rule.
Responsibility, for all involved.

So here is my proposal, which needs to be brought to NELUG by one of its
members, you know who you are, cause I don't. :-)

Firstly, along with the application for membership, there needs to be a
liability waver (details need to be worked out) signed by a parent of the
applicant.

Upon completion of the waver would be an interview with a membership committee
to determine if the applicant meets all other requirements of membership
(except age). At this interview, would be the signing of a contract by all
parties involved, including parents, stating all expectations and
responsibilities of membership, including the view of not being a group of
babysitters for the parents.

Upon completion of the contract and a temporary membership will be issued. The
temporary member is allowed to attend all meetings for a certain amount of time
(say, 3 months). From which the character of the person can be determined.

At the end of the temporary membership, the applicant cannot attend one meeting
where the rest of the membership votes whether or not to keep the applicant. At
that point it is determined, if the person is to be made a member. The vote
should be based on criteria such as maturity, contribution, enthusiasm, etc...

I realize that this is a long process but it will discourage any young people
who will disrupt things, and would allow young hardcore fans, such as Shiri, to
be a positive part of the group.

Well there is my two cents, OK, maybe it is a bit more :-)

Jude

This cannot happen without it being brought to NELUG by one of its members (of
which I am not)!!!