 Organizations / United States / 544
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 16:36:03 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Jude Beaudin <shiningblade@home.com> wrote:
So here is my proposal, which needs to be brought to NELUG by one of its
members, you know who you are, cause I don't. :-)
[actual proposal snipped]

This sounds reasonable, but I have two crucial problems with it.

First, as I've said before, I really do not want to be in the position of
judging people. That's not a fun task for anyone -- easier when you accept,
of course, but more difficult when it's a rejection. What would happen if we
were to consider Shiri personally and then deny her [1]? Two things -- she'd
likely be even more hurt than she is, and a whole horde of non-NELUG people
would descend calling us evil with no consideration or respect for our
decision.

The other problem is that we have historically been a very informal group,
with no officers or constitution or formal procedures. We've made our
decisions by coming to a sense of agreement. Your process sounds like a fine
suggestion, but it's very counter to the spirit of the group.

[1] Probably unlikely, but actually possible. Or imagine someone much more
"borderline".

--
Matthew Miller                     --->                 mattdm@mattdm.org
Quotes 'R' Us                    --->              http://quotes-r-us.org/