 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12492
Re: Thanks rtl(rlt, wink)Toronto
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:26:47 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, C. L. GunningCook wrote:

Very lovely looking pie Calum, but I would have thought you could have lined up
the fork pricks in a more pleasing design, I mean come on, I have higher
expectations then that.

P.S. Thin strips of tin foil covering just the edge of the pie for the baking
period (removed 10 minutes before the pie is finished baking) will leave the
outer crust perfectly golden.  Yes, I have baked a "few" pies in my past, as
shopping is not my only skill.

The foil I've never heard of (I will remember than for good pies) but the fork
pricks were apathy more than anything.  I know I could have put more effort
there but this was a test pie

Oh yes, the test pie, what was I thinking?

(which failed miserably--

Awwwwww

the filling was far too
watery and have some lumpy cornstarch bits in it--didnt stir enough during
preparation of the filling.)

Just as a side note, if you want to try that again, always mix the cornstarch in
a bit of cold water, or the "juice" from the can, to make it into a thick but
runny glue like paste instead of trying to mix it straight into the whole mess
of peaches, that will end the lumpy cornstarch issue.

I think it may have been a bad idea to use canned peaches.

Yes, it generally is, just for the reasons you stated.  Best to stick with fresh
fruit, or cheat completely and use canned pie filling.

I bought a can of
peaches on a whim to just eat out of the can, but figured I could make a pie out
of it.  I found a recipe on conservativehousewife.com

(Giggles)

or whatever (I'm not
kidding, seriously) for canned peaches but it relied heavily on the use of
cornstarch and careful preparation of that stupid filling.

Calum

Think you are up to making a pumpkin pie with freshly whipped cream??? ..... Oh
yummy!!!!

Janey "Red Brick"