 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12493
Re: Thanks rtl(rlt, wink)Toronto
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:34:18 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, C. L. GunningCook wrote:

P.S. Thin strips of tin foil covering just the edge of the pie for the baking
period (removed 10 minutes before the pie is finished baking) will leave the
outer crust perfectly golden.  Yes, I have baked a "few" pies in my past, as
shopping is not my only skill.

*Real* cooks (as opposed to gunning-cooks, is that anything like Pastry
Sergeants? ) use an aluminium ring that covers just the pie edge, especially
made for this very application. It has the advantage of being reusable, and thus
more ecologically correct (and cheaper in the long run) than disposable foil.
Plus it's niftier since it is embossed with decorative markings.

How do I know this? We have one, and with US Thanksgiving season upon us there
has been a lot of baking in our household, so I saw it in use.

(mmmm... pie... Apple Pecan Pineapple... Banana Cream... oh, and pumpkin which
doesn't get capitalised because I Don't Like It)