 Off-Topic / Debate / 8977
Re: Not at all a pact with the devil...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 23:37:11 GMT

This is a small subtopic and it is to be hoped that this will be my last
post on it.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
I'd suggest you continue to ignore it, since if you don't, it leads to
statements like this one
LUGNet *does* have an anti-MS bias, and it goes farther than it should.
I don't know whether to laugh at this ridiculous statement or simply ignore
it.  What a steaming cauldron of barf of a statement.
not exactly unemotional...

I didn't try hard enough not to be non-unemotional.  Let me try again...

Parser overload, too many negations! :-) (I parsed it by hand but it did
throw an exception)

LUGNet *does* have an anti-MS bias, and it goes farther than it should.

Obviously I disagree with that opinion.  In fact, I don't even know if you
seriously believe it yourself.  I think what you perceive as an anti-MS
"bias" is actually an anti-MS predilection and moreso a pro-Unix and pro-
Internet-standards predilection.

I think I believe it. I sincerely believe I've provided one example where
that isn't the case and suggested that others exist. You may disagree.

I also believe that the absence of MS
software "technologies" on LUGNET have helped keep it pure and simple and
maximally available and useful to all.

While I don't dispute the contention that LUGNet(tm) is tres useful, and
that the implementation choices you made for the technologies you selected
helped make it so (and I despair at the trend I see at many clients to run
mission critical stuff on intel/MS gear), I don't think I'm making my point
clear.

A technology decision does not only relate to the technology YOU choose to
use, unless your system exists in isolation. It also can be about how you
relate to the technologies of other systems that interface with yours. In
this case, browsers and mail clients for the most part although there are
other interfacers such as spiders, etc...

It is my contention that some of these decisions, in your mind justifiable
standards compliance, and purity in action, are actually anti-MS decisions
because they don't accomodate "broken" MS products. There's purity and there
is reality. The reality is that MS has a massive share in many segments of
the market and users who really don't have a lot of choice are stuck with MS.

(I can't believe I'm making the Ben Whytcross Memorial Mail Client Argument
here... I think that denying service to that broken client was the Right
Thing to do, because of the balance of effort and the deleterious effects on
everyone else if something was not done. Bias is not always prima facie bad)

I also am beginning to wonder whether
I am being trolled for sport.

I have been accused of not being able to recognise when I myself am being
trolled, so you've got me there.

I don't know! All I can say is that I don't think I am intentionally
trolling you, although I may be straining at a gnat. Do I have a
subconscious desire to troll you? Who knows...

by the way, were you commenting in an official capacity?

I was commenting in an emotional capacity.

:-)

And that's it. I think I'm done with this topic. Food for thought would be
all I ask of you at this point.

++Lar