 Administrative / General / 8736
Re: Not at all a pact with the devil...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 22:15:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney writes:
But why?  Is there a load on the server which makes trailing slashless URLs
incredibly inefficient?

I wouldn't say "incredibly inefficient," but definitely wasteful and
inefficient.  It's no big deal for occasional hand-typed URLs, but it's
extremely annoying for links.

I find that what is in place to stop those
slashless URLs from being forwarded is quite a significant irritation (and
others have told me that as well).  Its a pain to have to click something
extra when you don't put one character in a URL.

I agree completely, and in the case of hand-typed URLs (where HTTP_REFERER
comes in undefined) it should auto-forward to the URL that it thinks you
really meant.

I guess I should ask - is there a legitimate technical reason you did this,
or is it a way to 'teach' people to key in a URL 'correctly?'  I've honestly
never seen an error page show up on any other server when I forgot to
include a slash - so, why LUGNET?

Because the URL

   http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/guide/images

actually refers to a page named 'images' in the /publish/ftx/guide/ directory.

Similarly, the URL

   http://news.lugnet.com/castle

actually refers to a page named 'castle' in the root directory.  Only there's
no page named 'castle' and hence the error message.

Thus, you could have a directory

   http://www.lugnet.com/~140/foo/

and at the same time a directory

   http://www.lugnet.com/~140/foo

because the page names are magically file-extensionless.  (I wouldn't
recommend having both unless you're having one forward to the other for
legacy reasons, but it's possible indeed.)

--Todd