 Administrative / General / 8745
Re: URLs without trailing slashes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 06:44:04 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Sorry, your choices are the counterintuitive ones.
1) I don't know what universe you live in, but in MINE, the bulk of sites on
the web translate http://www.foo.com/bar/bletch to
http://www.foo.com/bar/bletch/

Uh, Hello?  That's precisely what I just said.  I said the REASON that it's
counterintuitive relative to most sites is precisely because of the above.

2) Member pages are the obvious problem here - you designed them wrong from
the start,

"Wrong"?  LOL.

and are covering by breaking a "convention" used by the majority
of sites.

It's just a different way of naming pages.

A different way of naming pages that seems wrong to EVERY SINGLE person I've
talked to.  Doesn't that tell you something?  If the UI is counterintuitive,
change the UI if possible, don't try to change the users.  In this case, changing
the UI is as simple as moving back to the "standard".

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/