 Off-Topic / Debate / 9123
Re: Not at all a pact with the devil...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 21:51:12 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
What you've cited above doesn't have anything to do with the choice of
server technologies, much less with the choice or non-choice of MS.  That
page comes up because I specifically added a URL handler for that type of
URL, and it would be there whether the server was running Apache or IIS
or anything.

Not quite true...

You mean there are webservers that don't automatically forward trailing-
slashless URLs to trailing-slashed URLs by default, and have a configurable
error page?

As an aside, I do understand that the above error message can be an
annoyance for people who like to play lazy games with URLs, and
subsequently it's likely that I'll be adding some additional smarts to
silently auto-forward to a slashed URL if the slashed URL form exists and
the HTTP referrer header is undefined.

NES/iWS do this automagically.

I thought basically all webservers did that automatically.  That's why I had
to specifically add something to stop it from happening.

But as Larry has argued before, whether YOU think you are in the right or not,
you are going counterintuitive to the vast majority of the Internet.

There ARE times where you should just get off the high horse and do something
for the convenience of the majority.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/