 Administrative / General / 8741
Re: Not at all a pact with the devil...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 23:45:34 GMT

"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
news:G7uH6z.4K8@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:
I wouldn't say "incredibly inefficient," but definitely wasteful and
inefficient.  It's no big deal for occasional hand-typed URLs, but it's
extremely annoying for links.

Any way to differenitate between the two?

With very high accuracy, yes.

Cool.

Because the URL

   http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/guide/images

actually refers to a page named 'images' in the /publish/ftx/guide/
directory.

Page...which, there is no page, right?

No, there *is* a page called 'images' there!  You can click that URL above
and go there.

Oh, ok, I read the statement wrong then.  Silly question - but I feel like
asking it anyways :)  Why is it a page called images versus a directory called
images?

And if that is a page, why doesn't it have an extension?

Because that's not the URL syntax for FTX pages.  Extensions aren't used --
they're useless baggage.

   http://www.lugnet.com/publish/ftx/guide/name

Ok.  I see where you're coming from now, since you can create FTX pages
server-wide.  I think that an effort should be made to not have pages and
directories with the same name in one directory (I think you alluded to that
somewhere) - but I also think that at least in the case of hand-typed URLs, the
server should auto-forward the user to the proper dir with the trailing slash.

Its just a PITA when I want to type out the URL of a newsgroup, forget the
slash, and have to click something extra.  Its less of a pain on a T1, but its a
huge pain on dialup...and most users use dialup.

-Tim