 Off-Topic / Debate / 8902
Re: Not at all a pact with the devil...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 03:28:01 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
news:G7LH2p.It4@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

Especially when it's posted in a non useful way, as I said.
Todd does have a special responsibility to keep the line between
his private persona and his  public one distinct.

I don't accept that at all. Anyone who wants to express their opinion in • a
public forum should be allowed to do so, whether they are involved in
running it or not. If someone else takes exception to that, that's fine, • but
I don't think in this situation you (or anyone) has the right to dictate
Todd's (or anyone's) "responsibility" (special or otherwise).

I'm not dictating. Not now, not ever.

Then perhaps you should have worded it "Todd should think about making the
line between ....". It just sounded to me like you were stating a fact, and
that was why I responded as I did.

Note that I distinguish between things I have a right to do, and things • that
are a good idea. No one should prevent me from folly if I insist, but
friends offer advice against it.

I agree, and I'd advise Todd to make such points of view clearer, too,
however it's just advice.

Do you dispute that Todd needs to be clear when he's being just one of us,
and when he's speaking officially? Divorced of the anti-[anti-MS] • rhetoric,
that's what I'm saying. And farther down in your post (which I snipped) • you
agree, or seem to. Can you clarify?

Certainly. I definitely agree that many developers make incorrect
development decisions based on MS / non-MS bias, as well as many other
biases with little relevance to the job. This generally results in increased
development time (cost), or below-standard results, or both. This is *bad*.
I think the open-source platform is a good development platform, but there
are many others, including MS. You should use the right tool for the job.

In the case of LUGNet, because resources are probably a bit more limited
than most development projects, familiarity with the platform becomes a
factor. I don't know how familiar Todd is with MS web development, but if
he's more familiar with FreeBSD / Apache / whatever else he uses (what do
you use Todd?), then he probably can't afford the time involved researching
/ learning other tools.

Well, that's Todds call, but my view is that unless it shows up in the
official terms of use (or other LUGNet doco, it's not an official LUGNet
view.

I feel that is an incorrect view based on events here in the past. It's an
official LUGNet view as soon as Todd says it is, whether he's crisp about
signing his name with official flourishes or not, no matter how long (if
ever) it takes to get into the ToS.... c.f. auction listings, which
seemingly took forever to get clarified in the ToS. Unless of course it
isn't, and the only way to tell *that* sometimes is to follow the thread • all
the way to the bitter end, and ask repeatedly what was meant until clarity
finally comes. (Sometimes to Todd's great annoyance, because he's way • ahead
of us in thinking through the implications, but hasn't had time to explain
so we ask what appear to him to be silly questions.)

All I'm asking for is crispness... the same crispness that Todd asks of • TLC
employees when posting here, for consistencies sake. And note that all I • do
is ask.

I think we agree here 8?)

But I'll go farther, and this is in the vein of take or leave it advice,
possibly worth no more than what was spent to obtain it (nothin').

LUGNet *does* have an anti-MS bias, and it goes farther than it should.

I haven't formed an opinion on that yet, however there does seem to be a
fair bit of evidence pointing in that direction 8?)

It goes far enough to color important decisions here, technical decisions
that may make this site harder to use for users, political decisions that
may affect perceptions of the owners, and emotional decisions, too, a bit
anyway... Todd's nickel, of course, to spend as he sees fit, but I think • it
dilutes effectiveness just a bit.

However, I don't think removing the platform bias would remove all such
dilutions, and it may well introduce others...

But then, that's the same argument I make against those that are out of
touch with TLC economic reality as well. With about the same effectiveness
(i.e. not much). In this case, though, I actually care, as I consider • myself
a LUGNet fan and stakeholder. Contrast that with those who are out of • touch
with reality... they will or won't fall victim to their folly soon enough • in
any case so I don't really care.

If they don't fall victim to cancer, heart disease, traffic accident, or
other ailments first...

Regards,

ROSCO